Welcome to the pages of my mind....

Enter one blog at a time

Sunday, September 04, 2011

9.4.11- Timing is everything!!!

 So due to the power outages schools were closed for students and teachers both Monday and Tuesday this past week.  So on Monday the 29th I went into work to get my room prepped and decided to meet up with a former coworker of mine.  She suggested we go to this tea shop in B-more called Teavolve.  Its a nice spot that's laid back with cheap eats, great drinks and a mellow vibe.  So I get there a little late because that's my M.O.!

I see her seated near the windows at a long table and go over and greet her. She's chopped off all her hair like I did about 8 months ago :). It looks great on her too.  I get settled in and set up my laptop so we can start discussing our new Technology curriculum that we find ourselves teaching this year.

I notice this guy behind me looking over his shoulder from time to time and I'm thinking to myself,  the tables are really close together and there's no room between us really maybe he's upset that I've encroached his space.  Who knows.  But as the day goes on I find myself turned  around staring at him in the face so  I just blurt out HELLO. And V laughs like what? And I'm like well it would have been rude not to say anything because we were staring at each other smack dab in the face.

I guess that was enough to break the ice because he excused himself for butting into our convo but he asked if we were teachers and what is was that we taught.  We told him we were biologists/science teachers but that we were both teaching technology this year.  He proceeded to tell us what he did and we were both like well now...we need you to come talk to our students!!!! Lets exchange info.  I gave him my business card and he wrote his info down on a piece of paper.

V. left but I stayed to get more work done. I figured I'd eat dinner there too so I wouldn't have to cook and I'd be more productive in a different environment than my home.  Every so often my friendly neighbor would make a comment or ask a question.  He was later joined by one of his mentees  who was working on some kind of java program.  He invited me over to take a look so I did.

The spot was having an open mic night so my friendly neighbor said he was going to play the violin. I was like for real?  This dude went to his car and got an antique violin and brought it in.  Sure enough he went up and played two songs.  Something by a great composer and then he did Amazing Grace.  I was impressed!  Not only does he own his own company, designs new technology, chairs a biotechnology department, has talent, he's got a personality and is actually attractive.  SWOON!!!!!

Before the night was over I was no longer sitting at my table by myself but I had joined his and we were chatting till 10 in the evening. Mind you I got there at like 3PM!!!  Talk about good timing!  He invited me to a networking event that was going to be held the next day and I was like I will be there!!!

Come 6pm the next day I was right there at the event.  It was a small gathering at first and I really wasn't sure what to expect.  But after it got rolling I saw the power behind the networking and getting to know the group of individuals in the room.

No comments: