Travel Journal Log #1
Date: 10.27.12
Location: BWI
Destination: SFO
Today is the start of my 5 city tour as part of my presentation at the 140th annual American Public Health Association conference in San Francisco, CA.
I love to travel but for some reason I can never figure out when I should leave my house in order to get to the airport on time but NOT too early so that I am sitting around waiting for hours upon hours. Today was one of those mad dashes to the airport in order to beat the clock and still check in 45 minutes before the flight. Phew, thank God I made it just in time and thank heavens I know of the lower level security check out line at BWI with no wait if you get there early enough.
My bags and I made it on the plane! Our first stop was Detroit, MI...Motor City itself. But I was actually shocked to see that most of the surrounding area was very rural looking. It looked more like Tractor City than Motor City. The layover wasn't long but I went ahead and changed my seat to the front but then I realized I liked the view better from the back so I moved back to my original seat just on the opposite side of the aircraft.
As the new passengers arrived on board I couldn't help but look to see who may come sit near me. This one lady with a small child boarded the plan early and I was thinking to myself PLEASE don't pick my row or the one directly in front or behind me PLEASE! (There had been two crying babies on the first leg of the flight I didn't want to have to deal with another for the longer legs of the flight. Do you know that this lady looked me dead in my eye and picked the row RIGHT IN FRONT of me?!?!? There was NO ONE sitting around me for the next 5 rows up and she chose to sit directly in front of me. I was miffed. At least I had my music waiting for me.
The 2nd leg of the trip took us to Chicago, IL and by this time I was starving so I got off the plane to grab a bite to eat. I should have known airport food would be insanely expensive. I bought a $10.00 hotdog, fries and drink combo. The hot dog was good but not $10.00 good. But when you are trapped like that what can you do? Airplane peanuts were not going to cut it for a 4-5 hour flight.
When I came back someone was already seated in my row but at least they were a pleasant old couple. They even struck up a small convo and made a few jokes. I think half the plane was going to SFO for the APHA conference. I heard some folks behind me mention it so I was like oh you are here for the conference too?
After that much of the trip was a blur because I slept like a baby. I'd occasionally wake up just in time to see the flight attendant past my row already, handing out drinks and snacks! BOO. I'd also catch a glimpse of a really cool view 30,000 ft below and think to myself is THAT snow? Then it would dawn on me that yes it is the end of October nearly and winter in some parts of the country are already experiencing it.
We landed in SFO around 3pm PST but I didn't get to see the Golden Gate Bridge from the air though :(. Once on the ground I made my way to baggage claim and I was overjoyed to see my bags had indeed made it on my flight despite the BRIGHT YELLOW "Late Check-In" tag prominently displayed. I immediately ripped it off. I felt like people would judge me if they saw it on my bag. LOL
The SFO airport is easy enough to navigate. The front desk at the "hotel" I was staying at mentioned I should take the BART to downtown city center. So off I went to find BART. 2 round trips on the air tram and I found the BART exit. A walk through the parking garage and up some stairs I found the ticket machine to purchase a BART ticket. Did this machine just ask me to give it $10.40 to go 5 stops up the yellow line? WOW, Metro back home doesn't seem so bad. After getting my ticket I made it downstairs just in time to see my train pull off and realize the next one wasn't coming for another 15 minutes! :(
Oh well, at least I had charged my phone back in the airport. Once I got on the train, which I thought would look more modern than it did considering the price of a fare, I sat down and enjoyed the sights of San Francisco by train. About 30-40 minutes later I arrived at my stop. After getting off the train I tried to find an easy way out to the street level. The escalator was broken and I was NOT about to carry two big arse suitcases up a ton of stairs. So, I went to find an elevator. I found one but I think it doubled as a toilet for someone earlier. OMG it smelled horrible. Once I was at street level I could breath again. I located my map and started walking. It was a nice, sunny, warm day and I enjoyed the walk. Once I found my hotel and checked in I lugged my bags up 3 flights of stairs.
I settled in and then hit the town to check out the sites and sounds before it got dark. I went to the Moscone Center where the conference is being held and checked in. Then I ventured to Metreon and walked around. They have a huge movie theater, restaurants and bars and the view is spectacular. I took a few snaps and explored the open spaces. There is a LOT to DO in San Francisco.
As it got dark I decided to grab a bite to eat but then it dawned on me that the place I am staying at has a kitchen so I might as well save myself some money and buy a few groceries that are quick to prepare. So off I went to City Target. It was such a beautiful place. It was also bustling with a lot of people who must have also been in town for various conferences. I made my purchase and took my goodies "home". The 5-block walk wasn't bad at all since it was just off Mission St in SOMA.
When I got back it was like a dorm because everyone was in the common room. This cute guy from Denmark who had offered to help me with my bags earlier was making himself dinner. Everyone was watching the SF Giants play in the World Series playoffs, or whatever baseball calls their finals.
I made my dinner, ate, chatted with some of the other residents then made my way upstairs.
The other girls were in the room on their computers. One of the ladies had made steamed shrimp and brought it to the room and offered everyone. They looked good but I passed. She left them on her bed and went to sleep. The smell was so overpowering in this tiny ass room. I got up and put them in a plastic bag for her. She was like where did you put them? I told her in a bag over there. I didn't understand why she brought that kind of food into the room. There is ONE tiny window and before I arrived it was sealed shut. Luckily I opened it to let some fresh air in earlier. Otherwise it would have been a hot box in there and a stinky hot box at that. LOL
I decided to relax and watch so hulu until bed time. I think I finally dozed off around 11:45pm PST.
No comments:
Post a Comment